Monday, February 11, 2008

Movie Mondays: 27 Dresses


Apparently I was wrong when I said in my last Movie Mondays article that, "I will be watching nothing but action and thriller movies for the rest of my life." I was wrong, dear readers, because last weekend my wonderful husband took me to see a romantic comedy that I had been wanting to see for a couple of weeks: 27 Dresses.

After a long and tiring week, Jonathan surprised me by cleaning the house and taking me out to dinner. He then, to my shock and surprise, suggested going to the theater to see 27 Dresses. I kept asking him "Are you sure? Are you sure? Because we just saw a terrible chick flick last weekend!" And, to my delight, he insisted anyways.

We then went to the local CVS to stock up on Milk Duds and Skittles (shhh...dont' tell anyone, we sneaked them into the theater!) When we got to the theater, we quickly bought the biggest Dr.Pepper we could buy and stood waiting for our theater to open for seating. We stood there, sipping our delicious carbonated drink, and looked around us at the crowd...and we noticed that we were the only ones there who appeared to be over the age of 21. We were surrounded by middle schoolers, and possibly some high schoolers...and it was at that moment, my dear readers, that I realized I'm getting old. (End side note.)

When we finally sat down to see our movie, my hopes and expectations were high (especially since this movie was written by the screenwriter of The Devil Wears Prada --which was a movie I really liked.) I was ready to see a good romantic comedy (especially after the previous weekend's movie tragedy.)

And, let me tell you, I was not disappointed. I laughed, I cried, and husband didn't hate it either. Unlike most romantic comedies, this one wasn't cheesy and completely unrealistic (and did not make me want to pull my hair out). It was good.

Now, if you're thinking, "Well, I'm glad you liked it, but what is this movie about?" here is a brief synopsis from movietickets.com:

Jane is an idealistic, romantic and completely selfless woman, a perennial bridal attendant whose own happy ending is nowhere in sight. Jane has always been good at taking care of others, but not so much in looking after herself. Her entire life has been about making people happy--and she has a closet full of 27 bridesmaid dresses to prove it. One memorable evening, Jane manages to shuttle between wedding receptions in Manhattan and Brooklyn, a feat witnessed by Kevin, a newspaper reporter who realizes that a story about this wedding junkie is his ticket off the newspaper's bridal beat. Jane finds Kevin's cynicism counter to everything she holds dear--namely weddings, and the two lock horns. Further complicating Jane's once perfectly-ordered life is the arrival of younger sister Tess. Tess immediately captures the heart of Jane's boss, George. Tess enlists her always-accommodating sister to plan yet another wedding--Tess and George's--but Jane's feelings for him lead to shocking revelations--and maybe the beginning of a new life.

Or, if you're more of a visual person, here is the movie trailer:




If you have seen 27 Dresses, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it! And don't worry, you don't have to agree with my love for the movie.

For me, the only disappointment was the fact that the movie theater did not give free refills on their large sodas. Come on, that's like a movie theater standard! How can you not give free refills on your largest drink? Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. And yes, Jonathan and I did finish off our Dr. Pepper while waiting out in the lobby feeling old, as we were surrounded by pre-teen Hannah Montana fans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw this movie and liked it too -- it was fun and light-hearted.

With that said, I am ashamed that your drink was not refilled. What kind of movie-establishments do these people claim to run?!?

Saw your comment at Big Mama when I was leaving one... you will LOVE her. She's hilarious.

Love!

tiffany zajas said...

@ Amy Beth: I know...I was pretty appalled about the drink not being refilled. Remind me on Thursday, and I will tell you exactly which theater we were at...just so I can warn you.

And I absolutely love BigMama's blog! I saw her link on your blogroll, and have been reading ever since.

Anonymous said...

If you're "old," what does that make me? On second thought, don't answer that question.