Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Favorite Things: For When I'm Sick

A few days ago I wrote a post entitled These Are a Few of My Favorite Things, and I promised that I would follow up with another one along those lines. And while I sit here with my laptop perched atop my knees, I ponder what to write of next, and I can't help but think of all the wonderful things that have made this time of me being sick just a little bit easier.

So, here you have it.

These are a few of my favorite things (for when I'm sick)...

Hot Tea: I cannot even begin to describe how much this has helped me these past few days. There is nothing like some good, hot tea to sooth my sore throat and laryngitis, and to relax my sick self. My favorite is the Lipton honey and lemon flavored black tea. It has been oh-so-soothing, and it tastes yummy too!

Vicks Vaporub: I know that this probably isn't new news to you...but Vicks Vaporub really helps. I mean, it really does...especially at night when I've been rather congested.

Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches: This meal was made for sick people. I'm pretty sure that whoever came up with this delectable concoction was either (a.) sick, or (b.) preparing a meal for a sick loved one. Because let's face it...nothing is so perfect as some tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich when you're sick. Mmmm...mmmm...good. Can I hear an Amen?

Brian Regan: Sometimes, when you're under the weather, you just need to laugh. Proverbs 17:22 says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine." And I wholeheartedly agree! After husband sat me down on the couch to watch some of Brian Regan's comedy sketches...I couldn't help but feel a little better! If you have no clue who I'm talking about, or if you're a fellow Brian Regan fan, then here is a clip for your enjoyment:




And last, but most definitely not least...

Hot pink nail polish: Now, for you guys out there, I don't really suggest this for when you're sick...or ever, really (hopefully.) But for you women, I think it is vitally important to your recovery. You see, when we women get sick, we often tend to feel blah. You know what I mean, right? You just don't feel your prettiest. But when you take the time to give yourself a pedicure and paint your toe nails hot pink...you can say, "Hey, I may not feel that great...but boy do my feet look pretty!" And somehow the world is a happier place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't had tomato soup and grilled cheese together since I was a kid. You're so right though -- it IS the perfect comfort food. :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

I saw some hot pink nail polish yesterday by OPI that looked awesome. I'm kicking myself for not picking it up. But then, I prefer to get my nails painted professionally, so I hate to invest in a lot of nail polishes.

J. Randolph Turpin, D.Min. said...

Tiff, It's been a long time since I have been sick (thanks be to God), so I'm not exactly sure what I would list as my favorite things for when I'm sick. However, I might expect that my list would be very similar to yours... except for the nail polish item, of course.

Love ya!

Daddy Turpin

Russell Rodden said...

Dude. I agree with amybeath@ministrysofabulous!

That combination can't be beat. Unless of course you throw in some Dr. Pepper into the mix.

If you check out my blog you might find some reasons for sickness (however I'm not implying that the reasons mentioned on my blog have any correlation to your under-the-weather-ness).

Hope you and Zajas are keepin it real...

tiffany zajas said...

@ amy beth: You should definitely try the combination of grilled cheese and tomato soup again...delicious!

@dcrmom: OPI has some good quality nail polish. And I also love getting my nails done professionally...but when that doesn't happen, painting them at home is also fun.

@ Dad: I'm glad you haven't gotten sick in a while. And I am equally as glad that you're not planning on trying my hot pink nail polish suggestion.

@ Russ: We're definitely "keeping it real" in the Zajas household. Thanks! :)