Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Books



Last night I finally got around to organizing the fairly large bookshelf in our apartment. It was fun going through all of Jonathan and my old books. Some of them I have read many times, some only once, others I have read halfway through, and still others are on my "to be read" list. Now our bookshelf is nice and pretty, with all of the genres in basically the same sections. I didn't alphabetize them, however. I figured that would be going a little too far. :)

I love reading. Growing up, it was always a favorite pastime. There were many times where I would finish a book in one day. At the beginning of each summer, I had a list of books I wanted to read, and would always beg my mom to take me to the library. She gladly did so. But she did have to put a limit on how many books me and my siblings could get. The limit was normally 10...sometimes 15.

I miss reading.

Oh, I still read. I still read a lot. But it's not reading for leisure. I read for school...textbooks and plays. That's what my reading mainly consists of. And I still enjoy that, I do. I especially enjoy reading plays and expanding my knowledge in Theatre. But I have to admit that I do miss having the time to sit down with a good novel, or biography, or even a non-fiction book, and read...just because I want to.

It's now been a week since finals...and now that my brain has healed from all of the studying, I'm ready to pick up a good book. There are two books in my currently reading list. One for when I want to read non-fiction and just expand my knowledge in an area, and the other when I want to read a good novel. Here they are:
  1. Drama Ministry by Steve Pederson -- I just started reading this book, and it is amazing. This guy's viewpoint and vision for drama ministry is very similar to where my heart is. He is the drama director at Willow Creek in Chicago, and I have always been inspired by their ministry. I love his emphasis on non-cheesy, non-melodramatic, drama for the church and for ministry. I could go on and on about this...
  2. Monster by Frank Peretti -- This book is in my bag to read as soon as I get a chance to. I haven't started it yet, but I've been looking forward to reading it for quite some time now. Frank Peretti has always been one of my favorite authors. His book The Oath was the one that got me hooked on his writing. I have read that book several times. So I'm anticipating this one to be a winner as well.
There are quite a few other books on my longer "to be read" list, but I'm going to take it one step at a time and finish these two first. I'll let you know how they are when I've read them cover to cover.

So, what are some of your favorite books? Do you have any good recommendations?

2 comments:

Nate Tallman said...

I haven't had time in the past few months to read for leisure, but I started reading the Harry Potter series a few weeks ago. I'm on book 6 now, and I love it! Also, Monster was one of Frank Peretti's best works. You'll like it.

tiffany zajas said...

I started reading Monster yesterday, and four chapters into it...I'm really loving it so far!

I've also been wanting to read the Harry Potter books. So, hopefully I'll get to read those sometime in the near future.

So many books to read...so little time... :)

I'm definitely open to any more suggestions.